Bootham Bar is a good point to start your walk around York's walls, where there are steps leading up into this gate.
The large white Georgian building next to Bootham Bar is called - De Grey Rooms.
The old painting above shows the barbican intact before it was demolished. Has someone since added a statue on the top/middle of the bar? as it is not on this painting.
The barbican entrance as shown in the black and white print above has since disappeared.
The colour photo below shows the bar today.
Learn about Henry VII at Micklegate Bar (richardiiiexperience.com)
The low sunlight. View from inside the city walls. (above January 2017)
(above) Engraved Antique Print 1828 ©
Front and back shown in photos. The rooms inside this gateway house the Richard III Museum. 360 Degree movie of Richard III Museum & gift shop
Archaeologists announced on 4 Feb 2013 that bones excavated from underneath a car park in the city of Leicester belong to the medieval king Richard III. Thousands of people signed a petition for Richard III to be reinterred at York Minster.
Walmgate Bar is the only one of York's bars that has retained its barbican (fortified outer gateway). Walmgate Bar also has a timber-framed house on the inner side of the gate that was still lived in up until 1959. Friends of York Walls
The Red Tower was built in 1490. It was used as a watchtower to strengthen the City Walls in the vulnerable area around the King's Fishpool - a lake formed by damming the River Foss. This watery defence meant that no walls were needed between here and Layerthorpe Bridge. The pool disappeared as it started to silt up, forming marshy islands in the 17th century, giving rise to the name 'Foss Islands'.