Old Postcards of York
from the South East dated around 1930.
See what York Minster
looks and sounds like today.
YORK RAIL STATION
taken around 1921.
The large building in the background is the Station Hotel originally built in 1852. It was later renamed to the 'Royal Station Hotel'
when Queen Victoria stayed in York in September 1854, en route from London to Balmoral Castle. Today it is called 'The Principal York'
. Should visitors compare it with the same view as seen today, it is truly remarkable how little seems to have changed.
Greetings cards of this view
YORK CITY WALLS
This view is from the city walls looking down Station Road towards Lendal Bridge and York Minster. The buildings on the right have changed a bit; today The Aviva Insurance offices dominate the corner next to the river. The Maltings Pub
is still open. The two old arches seen on the right still stand today, but the ornate upper floors above have since disappeared. Now used by Arup engineering.
View looking down Fossgate in York. There is slight blurring because early cameras had to be kept still for a while, but the Victorian people in the scene were moving.
York Past & Present Facebook group is a great place to see more old views of York.